Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I Know It When I See It

Recently I learned that an Abercrombie & Fitch manager in Virginia Beach was arrested for refusing to remove corporate advertising which some customers felt was obscene.
That got me thinking.


Things that Are Obscene at Abercrombie & Fitch:


The Hearing Damage- Thanks to music played so loud that humans over the age of 18 fall to the ground, writhing and shrieking in pain until they are able to cover their ears and crawl back outside.

The Price- As in paying $69.50 for this-


The Shorts- If you're wearing bottoms, you should not need a Brazilian, however, I suspect in these you might-


The Child Exploitation- Because apparently if you call the children "models" instead of "underpaid sales associates" they don't mind spending five to eight hours a day folding polos for minimum wage.


Things at Abercrombie & Fitch on which the Virginia Beach Police and I Part Ways, Obscenity-Wise:



Sure, it's definitely selling ass, or rather, using ass to sell jeans (which I guess you have to be 21 to find compelling, jeans purchase-wise). But if we banned every piece of advertising that used ass to sell something non-ass-related in this country, there'd be a lot less advertising. Ummm...hold on. I think I might actually be on to something...


Of course, now that I'm starting to come around to their way of thinking, the police go and drop the charges. We'll just have to agree to disagree, I suppose.

No comments: