Tuesday, March 25, 2008

People Who May Not Totally Suck, Part I

Yeah, yeah, I haven't blogged for a while. What are you going to do about it?

And in that same spirit of kindness and generosity, we (that's the royal "we") introduce what could quite possibly become an irregular feature here at Yankee Scum: People Who May Not Totally Suck. Whilst I believe that most people suck practically beyond measure (and am generally proven right time and time again) every once in a while I come across someone I don't wish to run over with my car.

Tonight, while not paying attention to the Evening News with Brian Williams, I nonetheless heard a story about this year's Congressional Medal of Honor recipients. Among those honored was a man named Don Schoendorfer (this guy):


(yeah, I know, it's quite a moustache,) who founded an organization called Free Wheelchair Mission. According to the organization's website: "Twenty seven years ago, the sight of a crippled Moroccan woman crawling across a dirt road planted a seed that germinated in 1999 when Don Schoendorfer...invested his education and professional expertise as a PhD Mechanical Engineer to create a simple, rugged, and inexpensive wheelchair" like this one:


The website gets a little "God's Love"-y from there, but you get the idea. Based on Schoendorfer's pretty incredible concept, the organization has donated just under 300,000 wheelchairs to some of the world's poorest, most disadvantaged people, in 70 countries around the globe. That's just cool.

So, Don Schoendorfer, should I happen upon you crossing the street, trust that I will not swerve to hit you. To the rest of you, don't be so sure.

For more information about the organization, and how the wheelchairs are made and distributed, go to www.freewheelchairmission.org.

No comments: