Monday, August 27, 2007

It's So Good That I'm Not Having Kids

Because if one of them turned out this stupid, I would have to eat it:



In case you can't be bothered to watch, the question put to Miss Teen South Carolina Lauren Caitlin Upton was about why one-fifth of Americans can't find the U.S. on a world map. Miss Upton replies:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, ah, education like such as in South Africa, and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."

Perhaps the most surprising thing for me was to find out that it's "The Iraq" whereas I'd always just been calling it "Iraq."

I'm not sure whether this video is an indictment of beauty pageants in general, Miss Teen USA specifically (obviously just begging for it), or the South Carolina School System (boasting the country's lowest SAT scores just a few short years ago.) Whichever it is, I'm pretty sure I lost a few IQ points watching it.

P.S. She came in third, so that should tell you how heavily the interview portion is weighted in the overall competition.

No comments: