Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Sissies

This morning I read on CNN that a fight broke out at the Boston Symphony Orchestra's opening night concert with Ben Folds. On the one hand, this fills me with pride, because as a native Massachusettsian, I admire the fact that it's a state where being a badass and enjoying the symphony are not mutually exclusive. On the other hand, I started to wonder what a fight between symphony aficionados looks like. Did they slap at each other until one of them tripped over his own feet? Swat away with their programs until one's monocle fell off and the other dropped his Blackberry? According to the article, the concert continued through one scream, with conductor Keith Lockhart merely casting a sidelong glance up at the balcony. The second scream stopped the performance entirely. Sadly, I think it's safe to assume that the screams did not issue from any lady bystanders, but rather, the gladiators themselves. Recently, according to my brother's blog, there was a throwdown after a cycling race here in Virginia. Cyclists, a notoriously sissy lot (what with the leg-shaving, and lycra-wearing, and petite frames and all) are probably no better mano a mano than symphony fans, but I'm going to have to reluctantly put my money on the cyclist in a death match between the two, since he or she would have a little fitness on their side, presumably, and a lower median age I imagine. As for the performance, since I really, really love Ben Folds, I think I would have been some pissed off at the interruption. But maybe amused, too. It's hard to say. Anyway, you can read the article here:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/10/odd.bostonpopsfight.ap/

No comments: