Sunday, September 23, 2007

"The Silent Art"


Yesterday, the world of mime bid farewell to one if it's most shining (quietest?) stars. Marcel Marceau died on Saturday in Paris, at the age of 84. Which I figured was notable because surely he was the last mime in existence. I mean, it's not as if anybody likes mime, right? And even if they do, there's no way anyone could like it enough to actually learn how to do it, I assumed. But apparently, I assumed wrong. There are mime troops, mime performances, mime theaters, and (I'm serious here) mime ministries. The mind reels. But quietly.
More interesting to me was the fact, which many probably already know, that Marceau was a Holocaust survivor who worked with the French resistance to protect Jewish children. Now for me personally, that's a legacy slightly more worthy of celebration, but I suppose it all depends on which side of the imaginary mime fence you stand on.

No comments: